Yesterday I shared a dream with our church. If I could press a button and instantaneously create a reputation for CityLife in our community, this is what I’d love to hear people saying.
That is the most generous group of people I’ve ever been around! I’m not sure I believe everything they teach, but I’m so glad they’re in our neighborhood.
Of course, we can’t just press a button. But we can choose to live in simple, radical ways, and unleash some generosity on Philly! That’s the heart behind Servolution.
Over the past two weeks, our church has given more than $19,000 in our Easter offering. This week we get to give it all away! We started on Thursday by sharing breakfast and gift bags with all of the teachers, custodians, counselors, and support staff at The Academy at Palumbo. Here’s an overview of what’s coming next.
- Monday: Visiting Pennsylvania Hospital where we’ll buy dinner for everyone in the cafeteria and give snack baskets to people in the waiting rooms.
- Tuesday: Gathering at Love Park to distribute 75 care kits to our homeless neighbors.
- Wednesday: Throwing a dinner party for the staff of Children’s Choice, a foster care organization in South Philly.
- Thursday: Giving away bus and subway tokens to SEPTA riders, and gift cards to taxi drivers.
- Friday: Delivering dinner from Famous Dave’s to the firemen at six firehouses in South Philly.
- Saturday: Going crazy with generosity! Buying groceries for random folks at the grocery store! Buying everyone’s order for three hours at Dunkin Donuts! Visiting laundromats with snacks and detergents and paying for people’s laundry! Throwing a baby shower for a single mom in North Philly!
Why? Because a generous lifestyle is the most enjoyable, thrilling way to live. And the heart and example of God is radically generous.
Let the serving begin!